1.03.2017

discovering hidden talents (it's not all about writing)


Right before heading off to college, I just finished the rough third draft of my novel Imperfect Utopia for a novel contest. Every time I finish large project like a novel I purpose to take a small break. Usually it's only a few weeks and I work on smaller projects. But this time was different. I had no ideas for a new novel, and all my previous WIPs weren't appealing to me. I couldn't make myself write. After two months of this block I finally had some ideas that I got excited about. 5,000 words and a pinterest board later, I lost inspiration. Everything I did to try and write the stupid book wasn't working.



I haven't written anything since late October. Even now I don't really have a desire to pick it back up right now. Back towards the end of my senior year of high school, I determined to take one class in college each semester that didn't involve my major. A class that I would actually have fun in. So last semester I took an art class. I had no previous talent in this area of drawing and painting. And through the class, I was taught many different ways to art. I start looking through tutorials of how-to-draw things and it sort of just developed into a small obsession. This art class taught me how to paint, how to draw and how to /really/ look for beauty in my every day world.

Art is my thing. I love it, but I'm a pre-med major, so art doesn't even remotely fit into my intended degree. I took a leap into the dark and discovered a little talent that could develop. Drawing and paint helps me de-stress. Writing is still a passion of mine and will someday pick it back up again.

Life isn't all about writing though. Passions develop from all corners of our lives. Whether it's cooking, or computer designing, or painting. Perhaps building is your side passion to writing, or maybe writing is now your side passion.

I limited myself. Told myself I could never be good at drawing. I'm not good... Yet, though. How cool would it be to illustrate a children's book someday? How cool to design the cover of your novel someday? How cool would it be to build a small replica of your fantasy world?

Don't limit yourself. Find those small passions that have yet to develop. Discover the hidden talents inside of you. God doesn't give us talents so we will never use them. Never limit yourself to just writing, or just drawing, or just music. Try many different things out. This coming semester I'm taking a teaching class that is for physical exercise. I don't know how that will go, but who knows.

You don't have to take college classes to learn things, though. The internet is a great place to start. Never let fear cripple you from discovering those hidden talents.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top