9.24.2016

"Unless" -- Making a Difference

Do you ever wonder if your words make a difference? Do ever think about if your novels will ever change a life? What about your art? Could your paintings ever change a life?

Art is a very important aspect of life. Everything around us is art. From the coffee you drink, to the canvas painting, to the literature you read in school. It's art. So don't you think that since this world is surrounded by this brilliant thing we call 'art', then it could have a huge impact on people's lives?






I have started writing a new novel recently after a month of not writing anything. I had college papers and homework to do and writing was the last thing on my mind. My inspiration was basically sucked completely out of me the day I started classes. So, to get some inspiration and thoughts for my new work in progress, I watched the Lorax. At the end of the movie, there's the quote from Dr. Suess that says, "Unless someone like you care a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." And it made me think about how much we actually care about the things we in our everyday lives from school, to hobbies, to our art projects.

How much do you care about that novel?
How much do you care about that painting? 


Do you want it to make a difference in the world, or for it to just be placed on display and no one really care about it?

Of course no one wants their art to not be loved. It's not about fame. It's not about making the 'best sellers' list. Everyone wants their hard work to be noticed and awarded someday. But have you ever thought about the difference your art could make? Have you ever thought about the difference your life could make, if only you cared just a little bit more?

I was home schooled my whole life and coming to college was a little bit of a culture shock. Of course I knew that there were people that didn't care about their schooling and grades, but I hadn't noticed it first hand. I knew there were people in the world that just went to college to just hang out and not do any real work. But I hadn't witnessed this first hand. Of course now I have. I see the people that don't care about their grades and don't even try. And I see the ones that do care and do try very hard.

Success isn't measured off a grade or a status, it's measured off of how much you actually care. You could only make a few hundred dollars a month instead of thousands, but if you are doing what you love and striving to make a difference, then you have succeeded. God's plans for everyone's life isn't so that we all become famous and millionaires. He wants us to live our fullest for Him. He wants us to care about the souls of those around us and I truly believe that art can change this world.

No I don't write Christian Fiction per se,  but I care an awful lot about what I say. I try my hardest to not add things that would make people question my Christianity. I'm not saying it's wrong to write things that aren't "Christian Fiction". That's okay. I write fantasy. I write science fiction. I think those things are okay to write. In fact, that's one of the ways you can reach people.

This past summer I got to go to a writer's conference. One of the speakers talked about how art is a way to reach people. Everyone is involved in some kind of art. And words impact people. Paintings impact people. Music impacts people.

So why are less and less people caring? Why does no one want to make a difference anymore?

This was more of a rant than a blog post; I'm sorry. I want to make a difference for Jesus. I want to make a difference in art. I want to make a difference in this world. Don't you?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top