9.08.2016

It Doesn't Matter What Others Think: Art is in Your Own Eyes



I decided to take a teaching art class this semester because I love artists and learning about art. I wanted to learn how to teach others how to do art. I can't art. I'm not good at drawing, or making my visions come to life on paper. I'm good with words, not crayons. Last week in art, I started to get a bit discouraged. I wasn't sure if I would get a good grade on that week's assignment because it honestly hadn't turned out good at all. I looked up at my teacher and said, "I think I failed. It doesn't look that good."  She shook her head, smiled and replied, "What may not look good to you, could possibly look good to someone else. It doesn't matter what others think, it just matters what you think. And you aren't allowed to think that your art is bad."



Well, me being me started to think of a way to apply that to all of art. Perhaps that poem you wrote didn't sound right to someone else, but it has a special meaning in your heart. Perhaps that novel didn't turn out exactly how someone else had thought, but it turned out exactly how you wanted. "Good" art is determined by yourself, not others.

Perhaps right now I'm not good at all art projects, but I plan to do my best and get a grade. I plan to get better so that maybe someday I can be alright at art and not so terrible.

Maybe you're not  very good at theater right now, but don't give up.
Maybe you're not very good at writing and you're failing your English course.
Or it could be that someone else is telling you you aren't good enough.

Art only matters in your eyes. Don't give up even if you think you're not good at it. Don't give up just because you "don't have time". As my art teacher says all the time: "Art matters. Art is in our everyday life and it is very important." This! That's why I took the art class. Art is beautiful. All of it. Even if it doesn't look good in someone else's eyes, I can say I tried my best.

I don't really have anything else to say. But don't be hard on yourself. Don't drop out of something just because right now it doesn't look good. Keep trying.

2 comments :

Back to Top