6.02.2016

The Power of You: Writing in Second Person

The power of you. Sounds like the beginning to a really inspirational post, doesn't it? Actually, I'm going to talk about second person point of view. Why? Because I like it and want to write about it. No other reason really.



The power of you.
It's a passing thought. You probably didn't think to write a whole novel in second person. You probably didn't even realize that there were hundreds of novels written in second person. You probably didn't even think twice about this last paragraph being written in second, did you? Second is more common than you probably realize.



Okay, so about six months ago I got an amazing idea for a novel. I wrote the premise out on paper and didn't even think twice about referring to the MC as "you". Then, of course, the wheels in my head started to spin and I started to wonder what the novel would be like written in second. I pitched the idea to a writing forum and got a lot of positive response from them. Okay, I thought,  I can try this.

I honestly had no idea what I was doing. Elementary and middle school English class didn't teach me how to rock second. So research began. I found only one helpful blog post about writing in second person. A week later of research, I felt even more discouraged. I wanted so bad to be taught how to be successful in writing in second person, and nothing I read was doing such a thing. I messaged a published author that taught a high school class I took, asking if he had any links to throw at me, or advice to give me. I got a rather hard message telling me I shouldn't attempt that unless I have written a few novels in first and third. He was very kind and explained why he didn't suggest I try second, but I was determined. After all, I have written several full length novels. I made myself believe I was capable.

So more fruitless research and wasting time.Nothing profited, in the end, so I decided to see how many people attempted to write novels and novellas in second. To my surprise, there were a LOT of full length novels and novellas written in this beautiful point of view.

"Does your little story have a point, Sarah?"
Yes. Yes it does. Sit tight.

I started writing this novel with SO MUCH struggle. I wasn't able to get anywhere with this. I tried and tried and wrote and rewrote. So much struggle. So much sadness. So I set this novel aside for a bit until I could write second like I write first. I read a novel in second and learned as much as I could about this unique style. I learned some valuable things through this tiny experience and wanted to write about it, because I think it's important, okay? Also, my blog. I can write about what I want.

Small Audience

Here is where I messed up the most. I was trying to write for a big audience. I didn't give my MC a name, I didn't give it a specific gender and I kept the thought process as neutral as possible, because I wanted both guys and girls to read it without a problem, or discomfort. I was doing an okay job at this, until a girl ally came into the story and I didn't know how to make the character react.

As with every novel you write, choose your audience. You have to know what your target is and work towards that. This isn't about making everyone like what you're writing. Not everyone will. So keeping that in mind, know that you have to specifically choose who your audience is. Got an age group? Single, married? Men or women? Youth or adults? Especially with writing in second, you have to know WHO you are purposefully writing for. Others outside of your target audience will probably end up liking your work at some point in time, but don't try and write for everyone. 

Plot and Outline

Something I don't usually do is detail outline. On occasion if I am having trouble writing a story, I will outline chapter for chapter, but other than that, I generalize my outline. However, I found with second person, it's easier to focus on the free-ness of the point of view if you already know what you're doing. If you aren't used to writing in second person, then it can be hard to do. It takes some major focus to make sure you are putting "you" instead of "I" or "s/he". 

I don't often tell people they need to outline, outline, outline. I don't often tell people they need to have their plot out in detail and knowing exactly what is going on. I enjoy the vibes that come from free-writing and not being confined by a plot board with sticky notes of exactly what is going on. However, experience with this less used POV says that you need to know what you're up against. 

Don't Character Develop

I don't mean don't do it at all with second person, but don't put too much stalk into it. The beauty of second is leaving some of the details up to your reader. After all, the book isn't about 'me', it is about 'you'. I have read both styles of second person where the writer leaves all details up to the reader, and where the writer puts all details in for the reader. I prefer a nice in between. You can write however you would like, whatever your style is. In the second person book I am working on, I will leave the eye color and hair color up to the reader. "You brush your *insert HC* tresses out of your eyes, smiling down at the dog at your feet." 

As I mentioned above, I don't mean don't character develop at all, but when the book is about your reader, then try and let them fill in the details. Unless you don't want them to. Then write in all the details and hope the reader has a vivid imagination. 


So have fun. If you're looking into writing something in second, do research. Maybe the POV comes extremely easy for you (great), maybe it comes really hard. At that point in time, don't try too hard. I started out writing it just for fun, but have come to really love the feel that second person gives off. I enjoy reading it and writing it. It's unique. It's not quite as un-common as I was first lead to believe. And anyone is capable of writing it. Sometimes it just takes a little bit more thought and focus  for some than for others.

Like with all writing, write for yourself first, then others. But be sure to remember that the people reading it, will feel more like the writing is about them then about a random character. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top